Sleep, Interrupted

It was a nice night for sleeping. Cool enough to warrant having the blanket over my legs, warm enough to sleep comfortably.

All in all that's some perfect sleeping conditions for me. I was happily sleeping (okay I'm not sure if I was happily sleeping or not, I was asleep.)


Then my night was ruined.


I heard a sound, it wasn't the sound of my cat jumping onto the bed to take his rightful place next to me. No, this was the sound of something technological. It was the sound of someone's imminent death (so they won't actually die, but it makes me feel better to think they'll suffer for disturbing my slumber!)


There it was again. This quiet vibrating and a small "ding" type sound. Suddenly in my sleepy fugue I knew what it was. My phone. Someone was messaging me at.. oh god it's only 5AM!!!!!!!!

Luckily I was tired from not sleeping well the night before. I fell straight back to sleep when I realised what that awful sound was. My phone didn't survive my irritated-at-5am attack as I found it on the floor this morning at 7:30am (a decent time) when I woke up.


Who was the messaging-at-5am-culprit?

I have no idea. I am still too angry to even think about looking at who thought it would be okay to message me at that time of the morning!


It's not usual for people to message one another at strange times. I've been accused of it myself in the past.

What I don't understand is the need someone would have to message me when they know me. I mean, let's break this down.

I'm very private in so far as I don't give people my mobile number. Therefore, if they have my number they know I'm nuts and that I have to take sleeping medication to actually sleep.

So.. having known all this, why would someone feel the need to message me at 5am!?!?! 


Yeah yeah, for "normal" people being woken up at 5am is just a mild inconvenience. That's great for them, for me it's kind of a big deal. Yes I did fall back to sleep but my sleep was broken after that 5am intrusion. Thus, my "sleep hygiene" has been compromised by an outside force. It wasn't my own body clock disrupting my sleep.


Next time someone has the bright idea of sending me a message at 5am, I think I'll ring them back and abuse them. Let's see how you like being interrupted.

0 comments:

Post a Comment